Thursday, 11 September 2008
AlmaVerde comes "Highly Commended"
Pioneering eco-resort developers AlmaVerde Village & Spa in the Western Algarve of Portugal has received a ‘Highly Commended’ Award as a result of its commitment to sustainability by the independent eco-property website, www.whatgreenhome.com. The award was received for a variety of environmentally friendly initiatives, including Coolhouse, AlmaVerde’s innovative air cooling technology which reduces carbon emissions by a staggering 94% compared to conventional air conditioning.
The website independently reviews eco-properties for sale on more than 70 developments in 22 countries worldwide, including the UK. It awarded four out of five green ticks to AlmaVerde for its green measures that include reduced energy consumption, the economical recycling of waste, the use of sustainable building materials and water conservation, all of which are in operation at the development.
Gordon Miller, editor of whatgreenhome.com, said: “AlmaVerde Village & Spa is one of the pioneers of eco-friendly development, having begun building sustainably at the resort in the early years of the Millennium. Principal architect Jes Mainwaring and his team have taken a long, hard look at the environmental conditions locally and applied a joined up thinking approach to sustainability that makes AlmaVerde one of the greenest resorts in Europe.”
Managing Director at AlmaVerde, John Tranmer says: “Buildings are responsible for half of the world's total energy consumption, and for half of the resulting carbon dioxide emissions. We were determined that our development should adopt better practices and are delighted that whatgreenhome.com should recognize us in this mission.”
See AlmaVerde's profile on whatgreenhome.com here.
The award joins a host of other major acknowledgments, including international recognition and endorsement by industry experts at the Homes Overseas Awards, where it was awarded Developer of the Year (Highly Commended), Best Sustainable Development (Silver) in 2007,
Best House – Portugal (Silver), Best Landscape Design (Gold) and Best Innovation (Silver). It has also won the prestigious European Royal Award for Sustainability.
Vicky Goodall or Amelia Daly at P1 Communications Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 844 257 0676 / 0675
- AlmaVerde Village & Spa scoops three OPP Awards for Excellence 2010
- TV’S Amanda Hamilton Teams Up With AlmaVerde To Offer Her Unique Detox & Weight Loss Method
- AlmaVerde Village & Spa in DestiNet’s “Atlas of Excellence”
- AlmaVerde invited to help promote sustainable tourism development
- AlmaVerde scoops Five Star Awards for Best Architecture and Best Property in Portugal
- Record year for AlmaVerde
- AlmaVerde partner with leading trainer and lifestyle coach, Paul Sansome
- AlmaVerde Win Gold and Silver at 2008 Homes Overseas Awards
- AlmaVerde comes "Highly Commended"
- AlmaVerde Slashes Energy Bills 94%
- Irish Times features AlmaVerde
- AlmaVerde scoops five 2007 Homes Overseas Magazine Awards
- Portugal rediscovers green heart
- AlmaVerde wins 2006 Royal Award for Sustainability
- AlmaVerde wins Gold for Best Sustainable Development 2006